With all the money you’ve invested into your commercial building, you want to keep it in great condition for years to come. Adequate insurance coverage can provide protection and peace of mind.
Your commercial roof warranty and its insurance coverage go hand and hand. They each provide reliable protection and save you a substantial amount of time and money when damage occurs. If you get a new installation, there are three types of warranties offered:
- A standard manufacturer’s warranty covers the roofing products you purchase
- A workmanship warranty covers the contractor’s installation
- An extended manufacturer’s warranty covers the products and the contractor’s workmanship
While it’s wise to choose a warranty before your installation, you must also make sure an insurance company covers your roof. Some roofing issues are inevitable, but if you lack the proper coverage, you’ll have to pay out of pocket for a roof repair or new installation if the problem is severe.
When you apply for coverage, it’s important to ask your provider questions. Learn whether your coverage protects against storm damage and if there are any roofing exclusions, which are certain instances where your provider can deny you coverage.
Your roof insurance policy is a detailed description of your coverage details. It’s wise to read the policy thoroughly and make sure you’re aware of the damages not covered by your provider. Certain situations make your roof ineligible for coverage, including:
- Roof Age: If your roof is over 20 years old, insurance companies deem it a liability and can deny you coverage. If your roof is nearing the end of its service life, it needs to pass an inspection to receive coverage. Otherwise, you must choose between having no insurance coverage (which is not recommended) or investing in a new roof installation.
- DIY Repairs: It’s important to hire professionals to repair your roof when you discover the damage. Don’t try to fix it yourself or trust your building to illegitimate roofers. Botched roof repairs make matters worse, and can ruin your warranty.
- Damage-Prone Materials: Some roofing materials are extremely expensive or easily damaged. For instance, wood roofing burns too easily, and metal is very costly to repair or replace. For these reasons, insurance providers can deny you coverage.
If you’re considering any changes to your roofing structure, be sure to communicate with your insurance provider beforehand. Remember to update your policy when necessary to reflect any recent add-ons to your roof’s structure, like satellites, HVAC units, or company signage.
It’s also crucial to prioritize routine maintenance. Most roofing companies offer free inspections and annual maintenance programs. If an insurance company suspects that damage stemmed from negligence on your part, your claim can be denied. Insurance providers feel it’s your responsibility to stay aware of your roof’s condition. Minor repairs are necessary to prevent significant issues that could cost everyone involved a lot of money.
Filing insurance claims can seem like a daunting task. Not only are the complexities of insurance coverage overwhelming, but the process can be confusing if you’re unfamiliar with the insurance and roofing industries. When disaster strikes and you have to file an insurance claim for your damaged roof, it may help to remember these four phases:
- Inspection: Even if you’re sure that there’s damage, it’s best not to inspect it by yourself. Trained professionals can not only spot damage you may have missed, but they can also confirm the level of severity.
- File an Insurance Claim: After the damage is assessed, file an insurance claim. Ask your roofing contractor if they can assist in the claim filing process, as this may alleviate some of the pressure.
- Estimate Roof Services: After receiving your insurance claim, your provider will send an adjuster to perform another roof inspection and estimate the cost of repairs.
- Roof Services: If your claim was approved, you may proceed with a roofing company to repair your roof.
With New Image Roofing, you never have to feel alone. We help you navigate the complexities of the insurance claim filing process from start to finish. Our roofing experts are equipped to transform your damaged property into a new and improved structure you can feel safe in. There’s no challenge too tough for New Image. Call us today to learn more about our superb roofing solutions.